Global learning sparks growth in you, and your relationship with the world.
Participating in global learning can be a unique life-changing experience. Below are three of the ways global learning can benefit you academically, professionally, and personally.
Complement your UCSC studies
Whether you choose to learn Italian in Italy, take major courses in Argentina, conduct research in Australia, or participate in an internship in Washington, D.C., global learning will have many academic benefits. Attending classes at another institution offers unique learning and cross-cultural opportunities that complement your studies at UCSC. By engaging in global learning, you can:
- Experience classroom learning in a new setting
- Gain a global perspective on your academic discipline
- Engage in experiential learning through real-world practice
- Receive major, minor, GE credit, or take electives outside your major
- Take courses with both students from other UC campuses and local students
- Visit historical landmarks and cultural heritage sites
- Learn a new language and practice with native speakers
Confirm your calling
What does global learning have to do with your professional development? A lot more than you probably think. Landing your first full-time job can be difficult. That’s why it is more important now than ever to stand out from the crowd. One way to stand out as a job candidate is to study and/or intern in another state or country. This experience can make an impressive addition to your resume. During an interview, your global learning experience may even be the first thing a recruiter asks you about! Furthermore, global learning allows you to validate the direction of your chosen field or shift to a new path. You can discover where your passions lie and achieve your dream career—in the U.S. or abroad.
Common career benefits include:
- Participating in an internship, research, or service-learning experience
- Building relationships with UCSC, other UC, and local faculty and students
- Gaining a deeper understanding of cultural diversity by interacting and communicating with diverse groups of people
- Building a global social and professional network
- Clarifying your own interests and life goals through your global experience
Global learning is unique in its ability to expose you to many career benefits in such a short period of time. To learn more about how global learning fosters career readiness, watch this video created by UCSC Global Learning and the UCSC Career Center. See our What Global Learning Can Do For Your Career handout.
Embark on a journey of self-discovery
For many students, participating in a global learning opportunity is a life-changing experience. Students return more independent, confident, and eager to take on new challenges, whether academic, professional, or personal. There are many personal benefits to global learning, which can include:
- Gaining a better appreciation of other cultures, as well as your own
- Becoming more independent, mature, confident, and adaptable in unfamiliar situations
- Developing new relationships
- Learning about your family heritage
- Achieving a better understanding of your personal strengths and weaknesses
- Examining what you believe, evaluating your values, and affirming what you want out of life.
- Adapting to a new culture, language, and lifestyle to build self-esteem.
- Building resilience to face any challenge that comes your way.