Academic Planning

Baa, New Zealand – Dianne Nguyen

Academics for Programs run by other UCs

When you study abroad/away on a program offered by another UC campus, you may earn UC credit. Upon completion of your study abroad/away program, request to have an official transcript sent from your program to the UCSC Office of Admissions. Undergraduate Admissions will evaluate the courses you took on your program; courses from other UCs tend to be transferable. The grades earned in the courses you took abroad will be factored into your UC GPA. The credits you earn will count towards the 180 credits you need to graduate. If you study abroad/away during the academic year, you must apply for an intercampus transfer through the Intercampus Visitor Program at UCSC. 

Satisfying Degree Requirements

We recommend you save all of your syllabi and coursework from your program.


It may be possible to use UC Quarter or Summer Abroad/Away courses to satisfy major and/or minor requirements. We recommend you speak with your major/minor advisor now to determine how to have your UC Quarter or Summer Abroad/Away courses approved for your department and how to fit study abroad/away into your academic plan.

General Education (GE)

It may be possible to use UC Quarter or Summer Abroad/Away courses to satisfy GE requirements.  For a course to count as a GE, it must be evaluated by the UCSC Office of Admissions.  The DC requirement MUST be taken at UCSC. 

Prior to departure, you may request pre-approval for courses by submitting your courses through the Proposed Program Evaluation which is a UCSC Office of Admissions form.  Allow up to 6 weeks for your request to be reviewed – start early! If your academic plan relies on satisfying specific GEs while abroad/away, it is strongly recommended you request pre-approval rather than assume your other UC courses will count toward your GEs. The DC requirement must be taken at UCSC. The UCSC Office of Admissions has final approval over which, if any, courses may be used to satisfy GE requirements.

After your return you can submit a Review of Transfer Credit online to have your courses reviewed for GE credit. You must wait until your Other UC courses have been added to your UCSC transcript after your return from your program to submit this form.