Study abroad in England at the University of the Arts (UAL), London; one of Europe’s top art schools! Enroll in art classes alongside students from across the world, and see why London is consistently ranked the best city for university students and is always among the most visited locations in the world!
Partner Program Type – Academic Programs International (API)
This program is facilitated by UCSC in collaboration with API. Therefore, program information indicated on the API website may differ from the program details indicated here.
API is an organization that UCSC has partnered with to provide students with this opportunity. API stands for Academic Programs International which is an organization that was founded in 1997 to connect U.S. college students to the world. API has staff in the United States and abroad to support students through every step of their journey.
Prerequisites – Must have completed at least one year in the major of the desired field of study. Students will be required to submit a portfolio before they are admitted into this program.
Minimum GPA – 3.0
Eligibility – Good academic and disciplinary standing, Min Age: 18, Open to All Majors, Sophomore, Junior, or Senior Standing by the time of departure
Fall Semester: mid-September – mid-December
City & University
In 2018 London was ranked as the best city in the world for university students. London is an international center of fine arts and design, and offers a wealth of galleries, museums & studios, in addition to the plentiful historic sites.
UAL comprises 6 internationally renowned colleges: Central Saint Martins, London College of Communication, Chelsea College of Arts, Camberwell College of Arts, Wimbledon College of Arts, and London College of Fashion. These colleges specialize in art, design, communications, fashion, and the performing arts, and together as UAL serve as the largest provider of arts higher education in Europe.
Students will be housed in student apartments. Most apartments have several single rooms with a shared living room and kitchen. Some have en suite bathrooms in each bedroom while others have shared bathrooms. The kitchens are equipped with ovens, stoves, microwaves, and refrigerators. Wireless Internet is provided in all apartments. A weekly cleaning service is provided to the communal kitchen/living areas in all API London accommodations. Generally, it will take students 20-45 minutes to get to school from their housing via public transportation or walking. All housing will be located in Zones 1 and 2 on the tube map.
Included excursions for this program are:
- A Historic Royal Palace
- Stonehenge & Bath
- Wales Weekend
Note: excursions vary by term.
If you would like more detailed information about the excursions, please reach out to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
API teams will support your study abroad journey from application through re-entry. API staff will help guide you through the final phases of the application process after you have been nominated by UCSC, then upon arrival in-country, you will meet the API onsite team who will provide assistance during your time in-country. API staff is readily available and able to assist you with any academic, social, cultural, health, and safety questions or issues that you may face during your time abroad.
Students with Disabilities
If you need support services abroad, notify your UCSC Disability Resource Center (DRC) Coordinator.
Please contact API directly if you have any concerns about disability accommodations abroad at email@example.com.
Identities Abroad and Away
UC Santa Cruz Global Learning is committed to inclusion and equity in our various program options as well as striving to make everyone’s experiences abroad enriching, positive, and safe.
Learn more on our Identities Abroad and Away webpage.
Host University Courses
As a UAL exchange student, enroll full-time in courses alongside other local and international students.
- In the UAL Integrated Programs, the word “course” refers to a “course of study,” or a “major” as we refer to it at U.S. universities. Students in this program choose only one course of study, and the classes, projects, and tutorials for that course are assigned upon arrival.
- The following colleges offer integrated programs for international students: Central Saint Martins, London College of Communication, Chelsea College of Arts, Camberwell College of Arts, and Wimbledon College of Arts. In the Integrated program, students are accepted into a particular year of the three-year program (Year 1 or Year 2 usually). They will not have any course choices – they will take courses offered for that particular semester in the degree program
- NOTE: We encourage you to apply to this program as soon as possible to have a better chance of being accepted into your desired course. UAL accepts applicants on a rolling basis and only allows a select number of students onto each course. Some courses at UAL are extremely sought after and can reach capacity early on in the application process. In cases where courses reach capacity, API will try to notify students and work with you on finding suitable alternative courses. We recommend having 2-3 courses that you are interested in, in case your first choice is full.
- Please view commonly available courses here.
- If you have any questions or need to request syllabi please contact the API advising team at firstname.lastname@example.org
It may be possible to satisfy major, minor, GE, and/or electives on this program.
Learn more about:
Course Load Requirements
You are required to enroll in a full-time course load while abroad as defined by your host institution:
- Students will earn 40 UAL credits per term, which is equivalent to 18-24 quarter credits per term.
As a UCSC student, you must also continue to meet UCSC Satisfactory Academic Progress, which requires students to enroll in a minimum of 12 UCSC quarter credits per quarter. At UAL, you are required to ensure you meet this requirement by enrolling in the equivalent of at least 12 UCSC quarter credits in fall semester and at least 24 UCSC quarter credits in spring semester after conversion (see below).
If you are not enrolled in the minimum number of quarter credits required, then you will fall out of Satisfactory Academic Progress. This could lead to financial aid and academic repercussions.
If you are unable to enroll in the minimum number of quarter credits through courses at your host university, you may be able to fill in the gap by enrolling in one remote course through UCSC or UC online.
UAL uses UK credits. These will be converted to UCSC quarter credits when added to your UC transcript.
- 10 UK credits = 4 quarter credits at UCSC
- 15 UK credits = 6 quarter credits at UCSC
- 20 UK credits = 8 quarter credits at UCSC
- 30 UK credits = 12 quarter credits at UCSC
Some courses abroad may have enrollment limitations and/or restrictions, such as prerequisites. Review course information provided by API, and work with assigned API program manager, to understand any course limitations and/or restrictions prior to official course enrollment abroad.
If you are unsure about your eligibility to enroll, please contact UCSC Global Learning at email@example.com before applying to this program.
Please note that the academic system, such as assignments, exams, course structure, grading system, etc., at your host institution may be different from what you are used to at UCSC. We highly recommend researching the academic system at your host university in advance to best prepare for your experience abroad.
We recommend comparing the host university academic calendar to the UCSC academic calendar to see how the academic calendars, holidays, and breaks differ.